Monday, 26 November 2007

Work: does South Africa really have enough for you and me?

This sounds ridiculous to a lot of people reading this. And some just wanted to hear and read what my heading meant. It’s not easy having graduated and not getting employed. I can imagine what it feels like.

And by the way, I will be completing my undergraduate studies at the end of the year at time of writting. I have at least gone for one interview late last year, and i decided to cut the interview and just come and finish my degree. Just last week friday - I have gone to another interview at Adcon. Damn, it wasn't easy, however it was very challenging!

Some people think it was a stupid mistake i ever did, and yes, maybe it was or maybe not, who knows?

Getting back to the topic at hand. It's not easy being a graduate and getting absorbed immediately into the workforce, both white and especially "blacks". I, however, do not like using these two terms as they are for political reasons, but I would be using them for this purpose only.

One of the big mistakes that people, especially students graduating from high school make, is that of choosing careers that are not in high demand. Yes, black people were marginalized before and still are marginalized today, and so are the whites. Not taking any side. And if we keep blaming apartheid, when will we ever blame ourselves, especially those born after 1976?

It is very important that parents advise their children to take up careers that are regarded as "high scarce skills" when pursuing their different careers. Also there's a need for more career guidance for young people especially youth in middle and high schools, and also to some of those in Higher Learning Institutions.

There are jobs available in South Africa, and quite a lot of them are still not filled because some of us chose to do or pursue certain careers. It is also very important to treat all job applicants with equity and not just looking at black and white but also looking at Indians.

According to my observation, a lot has been said about Affirmative Action on the side of blacks and not much has been said about Coloureds and Indians, and also Chinese. It's as if they are not members of the South African society. It's time we looked beyond the colour of our skin, but looking at what job applicants competency, potential, relevant skills, experience, and qualifications too they have, and not forgetting prior knowledge even if they do not have such required qualifications.

Where I’m studying at the moment, I’m often surprised when my colleagues ask me why I’m always or most of the time in the Computer Lab. And I tell them that I do my own research on the development in the HR Industry as I’m studying Human Resource Management, and not only that, but other disciplines as I’m also interested in economics and journalism.

Researching is one of the most important things that students need to do for themselves because as times change, and so does everything, ranging from information and also other developments like technology.

I know I am employable, as I at least went for Administrative Assistant job, as i mentioned earlier.

And yes, it's very difficult entering the job market especially when you have the qualification(s) that is/are not relevant to the job you are applying for. And maybe if i stopped looking for someone to hire me, and just create my own company and be able to hire other people to work for me too.

As far as affirmative action is concerned, I think people of all races should be considered during recruitment/hiring. And every organization has to be a representative of all races and the country's diverse culture. And where such deficiency lacks, or where one would find that other people from a particular race haven't got the relevant skills - help provide them with such is important as you will see the benefit later at some stage.

Hope this gives a constructively new view of life

No comments: