Wednesday, 12 September 2007

Students clueless about "Blogging"

I was so surprised and amazed by some students i chatted to about blogging.

Maybe i was expecting too much from them - but i thought "blogging" has been in existance for a very long time now - or more than two year ans surely everyone should know by now what it means.

Have you got a blog? I asked one student. What is that? I don't know what you are talking about, he replied.

What is that?, he asked me.

Well, as far as i can explain it - a blog is sort of a web site where you are able to write whatever you want, able to communicate with people all over the world and able to put pictures on it where people registered with such server can view it freely or might have to register to can view your blog.

It is somewhat strange to find that even some "academics" have no idea what a blog is. Or maybe i just happened to talk to those who are not inquisitive, because if they were inquisitive as i was and still am, surely they would know what a blog is or at least have an idea of what i'm talking about.

It therefore came to my attention that those who are studying Communication or Journalism in higher Learning Institutions - be introduced to Multi-media or Online media module which will include "blog" as a subject.

This will enable such student to keep up with technology as it is quite revolutionary and changes every now and then and is sometimes not easy to keep up with.

Blogging is fun. The reason why i decided to have my own is because i love writing and sharing things with whoever or whatever stranger around the world.

Some of my acquaintances and colleagues (students) have asked why i didn't take communication as my career.

"I prefer things the way they are," I replied. One good friend of mine tried to get me in contact with his friend who works for a Media Company in SA and i still haven't contacted her. I don't know if i should or i should wait.

Maybe some time in the furure i will consider writing or journalism as my career. I would however encounter problems because of my "Multitalent" abilities and skills.

No comments: